Monday, September 27, 2010

Party With US...

December 4th 2010 “The Sample Hour”

So… A couple of weeks ago my man, Siks 9 aka Harold (US), came through to chill. I picked him up at the light rail. I had to make a store run for something to sip on. On the way to the store we began talking. I asked him if he had heard the new Roots cd. His reply was no and that he had only been listening to old school music. So I was like, no doubt, I had been getting my old school Hip Hop fix in also. He said to me no, real old school music. Old school as in our parents music. I said ok I feel you, play some so I can hear what you have been rocking to. He plugged his iPhone into the jack and this journey began.

He played song after song after song. I’m talking about James Brown, Bob James, George Clinton, Lynn Collins, Isaac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield, Roy Ayers, and so many others. Every song he played had one thing in common. Each song had been sampled, some heavily, by Hip Hop. It was just incredible to me! We got back to the house and I threw some food on the grill. We grabbed some drinks and sat out in the backyard for hours listening to these songs. We called P-Collino aka Preston (US) and had him on speakerphone because we knew he would love the music. He has been on is old school listening kick for a long time and his collection of old school music is so extensive. We listened not just for the great music, but for the sample. We listened for the piece of the song where Hip Hop producers got their inspiration to make a beat. Some call it stealing or borrowing or lack of originality. We in the Hip Hop world call it sampling. It is an art form that is far from “lack of originality.” In fact it’s just the opposite. For a producer to take a piece of a song, some pieces no longer than five seconds, and turn it into a completely different beat with a completely different feel is very original. At least it is to me.

As we sat back there listening to these songs I began thinking of how US this was. I said to Siks, we need to do something on a large scale to show how Union Specific this was. I said to him we should have an event/party to highlight how relevant these old school songs are to Hip Hop and US. Some of these songs I have never heard before, and I know you haven't either, but as soon as I heard the sampled part I knew which Hip Hop artist used it, the name of the song it was used on, which album it was used on and the year it came out. I decided then and there that this had to go down. Sik 9 and P-Collino was down. All that was left to do was put the rest of the puzzle together. If my life is a puzzle, where do you fit in?

I will have complete details for the party as we get a little closer to the date. Save the date and make travel plans. D.C., December 4th,"The Sample Hour" Thanks to my man Kee(US) for putting me in touch with the right people out there.

5 comments:

  1. I'll see IF I can surprise "Buggie" w/a trip there as his class schedule's going to be crazy! I have a feeling, this is somethint to not be missed... and EPIC weekend in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice!! I'm down for any event that involves gr8 music and gr8 friends!

    NYDiva - You and Buggie can stay with me and Remi if you make it! We have more than enough room ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for NY to come to the DMV for yet another fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love music and embark on musical journeys all the time. Listening to music transports me a different place. I enjoy listening to tracks by one artist in the entire library. Start to finish. Favorites on my rotation are Donnie Hathaway, Stevie Wonder, and the Marvin. I am so old school, but that is the rhythm and blues that sends me.
    Now I don't know what is going on with new hip hop music, I care only because it is disheartening. I don't understand how there is a song that mentions hard core gangsters as its chorus. The youth and immature adults that go around singing this junk is amazing. I want to know if someone made a song about Dr. King who really believed in One Nation Under God, in order to better a nation if the club stop and all hands would go up in the air and heads start nodding? Would folks gig to it the same way? I am offended by a song saying Hallelujah and then telling everyone about the cocaine running through your veins. Is hip hop that corrupted?

    I question whether I believe in freedom of speech. I believe people should have the right to say whatever they want, but on the same note there should be censorship. I guess if you really think about it. We don't have freedom of speech if they bleep out four letter words sitcoms, on movies on T.V., and change the lyrics on songs for the radio. If certain words are bleeped out, then why not just bleep out entire songs certain songs and let the sampled beats play? Nothing wrong with instrumental? How many times do we say that beat is hot and don't pay attention to the lyrics. If a song has a sadistic meaning, misogynistic tones, and/ or violent threats and just overall degrading to any group of people why can't we just listen to the instrumental? Delete it, stop it from being dropped. Who has the power to Veto music?

    There once was a time when I was coming up, songs like, "You Must Learn," "She watched Chanel Zero”, and "Fight the Power" were common tunes that were POPULAR. What happened to that time, that era?

    I am a proud product of that era of hip hop. Hip hop is dead as I know it and I have been mourning for a long time.

    Epitaph
    R.I.P. Mr. and Mrs. Hip Hop 1975-1996
    Gone too soon, and missed by many.

    Count me in for the Sample Hour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out this kid on YouTube at:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfqlG8gSkeA

    Some of the best hip hop samples broken down for you. He has like 50 or so of these episodes. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete